We offer Public Access services, which means that we can take people’s cases directly without having to be instructed by their solicitor.
Did you know you can instruct a barrister yourself? This is called Public Access, and it means you can avoid the cost of instructing a solicitor. However, it does mean you may need to do more of your own paperwork, and Public Access isn’t suitable for every case. It’s open to individual members of the public as well as business clients.
With our Public Access work, there are no hidden costs – you pay a fixed fee for a specific piece of work, agreed in advance.
What can we do for you?
Several of our barristers are specially trained to provide Public Access services. They are experts in their field of law and in the way the courts work. They can:
- offer you legal opinions and advice
- draft legal documents for you
- represent you in court.
Which barristers offer Public Access?
Each of our barristers has a webpage. On those pages, there’s a clickable link called Further Information; if a barrister offers Public Access, this will be mentioned there. There will also be details about:
- the area/s of law in which that barrister offers Public Access work
- how their fee model works
- typical timescales for the work they do, and how/why this might vary
- indicative costs for sample types of work (such as written advice, hearings and trial fees), and how/why these could vary
- whether the fees shown include VAT.
Want to explore Public Access with us?
- Start by giving our clerks a call on 0114 275 1223
- They’ll ask for details about your case, which they’ll then forward to any appropriate barrister
- The barrister may decide to call you to discuss your suitability for Public Access
- Next, they’ll decide whether they can accept your case
- If so, they’ll give you a fixed-fee quote for the work required
- If you agree to the quote and are happy to proceed, we’ll ask you for payment and two forms of identification, and we’ll ask you to sign a client care letter
- Then your barrister can begin working on your case
- If at any stage further work is required, fixed costs will be discussed with you in advance.
“Friendly and efficient team of barristers can be relied upon to achieve good results.”
“A fantastic set that provides a great service to clients and instructing solicitors alike.”